Thursday, July 17, 2008

Tickers

Lilypie Breastfeeding Ticker

So I was checking out people I want to know better (BLOG STALKING) and I noticed almost everyone has a ticker or a countdown to something great happening in their life. I even have a "back to school" countdown, so I am guilty of the countdown frenzy.

One ticker that I came across was quite terrifying...A NURSING TICKER. Apparently people want other people to know that they are breastfeeding and bragging about how long they can keep up the feeding frenzy ( I am not bitter about all you great nursing moms I'm not). I saw this and was a little taken back. Maybe it is because I will never win the award for "best breastfeeding mom of 2008", so I found this said ticker a little crazy/gross. It just struck me that you shouldn't have to announce how your feeding a baby if their oh, I don't know, under 6 months. Most babies have to eat, and most moms breastfeed or give a baby a bottle so take note...YOU SO NOT HAVE TO ANNOUNCE THIS!! I have never read an obituary (and I read them all) that said "baby starved right to death". It is just a given that if you have a baby your feeding them something.

To illustrate how this works I have added a breastfeeding ticker, (FYI I am done nursing, this is just for your enjoyment I swear, and I want to feel like a cool mom.) I also love the picture...Both mom and dad are not wearing a shirt, does dad just want to feel as agitated and frustrated as the mom that can't nurse with her shirt on, or with out 23 pillows surrounding her, or without the tv remote, the phone, a 59oz glass of water and 2 or 3 magazines strategically placed around her while she feeds her baby in the most relaxing and natural way there is? I am still not bitter, I LOVE YOU ENFAMIL and AVENT. p.s The prince now weighs 16 lbs. So literally "suck that" breastfeeding warriors. I am still not bitter, breastfeeding is just not for everyone. (at least that's what my husband keeps telling me)

16 comments:

Isaac Family said...

You posted! Yay! As far as breastfeeding is concerned it really isn't for everyone. I thought for sure that I'd nurse for a year until I realized it'd clash with a family vacation. So I stopped at six months and called it good. And life was so much better after that too!

Emily said...

Eeew! That ticker is gross. People seriously have that up on their blog? And now I'm feeling left out because I'm not counting down to anything.

Whitney said...

This is a creepy, weird ticker. Admit it, even moms who have nursed their babies are weirded out by nursing sometimes. I'm not part of the ticker club either. Although you were my inspiration for adding a counter to my blog.

Anonymous said...

Very disturbing I will add. Luckily my babies never starved to death either, and I don't think I ever fed them, Wade must have stepped in for me. Thank Goodness

Kim said...

Hey Doreen - I found your blog through Emily's. Hope you don't mind. :)

Anyway, speaking as someone who's chosen to nurse, I think that ticker is disgusting. Breastfeeding is such a personal decision, it is definitely not something that should be shared with the world.

I have a few stories I could tell about overly open moms, but I won't. Ew.

Adam and Melisa said...

I thought I was the only one who couldn't figure out how to nurse with my shirt still on. And hey....how does the husband not having his shirt on help?!!

Bateman's Latest Kill said...

I stummbled across your blog because when work is slow I become such a blog hacker. I am cracking up now I will have something funny to read at night at work.

Anonymous said...

As a mom that had a VERY hard time breastfeeding....I am very proud that I am still able to nurse my 11month old baby. I went through so much pain, bleeding, blabbidy blah blah, in the beginning. As for the ticker, I think some people are just proud that they are able to stick it out. Yes it's a personal choice to do it, but it is am amazing feeling to know that your milk kept your baby alive, without supplementing. I didn't nurse all of my babies, so I'm not the type to say "you have to breastfeed!" I just wanted to say that some people are proud they made it to the point that they did. I know I am. It is definitely not for everyone, but don't knock those that want to show how proud they are.

Anonymous said...

Nursing can be diffciult, stressful, and a big challenge for people and many are proud that they worked hard and were/are successful breastfeeding mothers. I see nothing wrong with it. Breastfeeding isn't something that we should hide or be ashamed of and if a mother wants to show off a personal accomplishment that means alot to her I say the more power to her. For some its weight loss tickers that show off their great accomplishments. For others its a countdown to a birth or a wedding. For others its a continued reinforcement of something that means alot to them.


Mommy Wars suck.

Anonymous said...

Idiot. No one cares when you go back to school... How is that different from a BFing ticker? Oh wait, it isn't except for one involves you and the other doesn't.

Perspective is a funny thing.

Anonymous said...

Im not sure why you care what other people have on THEIR blogs... Im very proud that my son has never had a SINGLE drop of formula in a country that thinks artificial milk is "just as good" as breastmilk, because its not. No one is going around telling you that you're wrong, so why do you care if someone else has a breastfeeding ticker? Maybe i think its terrible that you're in school (or working, maybe?), rather than caring for your child? Because THATS how ridiculous you sound.

Anonymous said...

Sorry if the best response is to just ignore...

But as someone who knows the owner of this blog, and as someone who has nursed all of my kids for a year (including a set of twins), in light of recent comments I just wanted to add that Doreen doesn’t mean any harm here. I certainly don’t feel threatened by this. I'm not one to usually respond to comments like this, but Doreen is one of the nicest people I know and doesn’t have a mean bone in her body. So please…I don’t think any Mommy War is necessary or intended.

Anonymous said...

Since breastfeeding can be VERY difficult for some women, and many have tried with previous children and failed the ticker can be a reminder that they have succeeded.
It's not "gross" by any means. Women have breasts for feeding their babies. It's a shame the world thinks anything about breastfeeding is gross or inappropriate. And to the PP that says the blog owner doesn't mean any harm...by calling the tickers gross and unnecessary or inappropriate, then that is offensive and therefore harm was meant and/or taken by many that feel that breastfeeding milestones are important. Does the OP realize that for sick babies in the NICU breastmilk can mean the difference between life and death? Maybe she should do some reading instead of being so ignorant.

Emily said...

Oh gee whiz, people. That "ticker" IS creepy. Some things about breast feeding are weird. Some people like to count down to the first day of school. Everybody can do what they want on their OWN blogs, and make fun of what every one else does, if they want.

Anonymous said...

at least the author didn't go around and leave nasty comments on all the breastfeeding blogs. that would be rude

Anonymous said...

Hey Breast Feeders, Suck it up, Stop looking for ways to be offended and by the way, who's watching your kids while you're on the computer?! Get off the pot and take a chill pill, or you could also take a Paxil or Zoloft...