Monday, June 9, 2008

Reunion Schmeunion












Saturday was Brandon's Dads side extended family reunion and we are not really that close to them so...WE HAVE NEVER BEEN! So I suppose this year we were feeling bored and the fact that Bridger read that they were having a PIE EATING CONTEST . Yes, he is my son, I have had many a pie eating contests and all alone, only mine are in the comfort of my own home and at night after my kids are asleep and it is not just pie (oreos, cake, anything not nailed down). So we were "doomed" to attend for the sake of this pie eating contest. Was it was worth walking around in a field with horse poop and playing games for 40 minutes YES!! because HE WON!! Our Bridger made us (me) proud. All I could think was... look out 100lb oriental hot dog eating champ, my 7 year old 80lb pie eater is coming your way so brace yourself. I came home and looked up competitive eating for the juniors division and there was none. But I figured I could totally save on my food bill if he had 2 or 3 competitions a week like this.

* I would find like a milk jug chugging contest, as long as he could drink straight from the carton he could totally take it, Lord knows he's been practicing for 3 years. *Maybe a 6lb tub of licorice contest, as long as he had to eat it sneaky (so moms wouldn't notice 3 lbs missing) that one to...IN THE BAG!! * The Cold cereal contest...Eat the whole box while reading the back and sides of the box DONE AND DONE!
The people at the reunion were HIDEOUS. Brandon mentioned that maybe the ugly stick had fallen onto the entire group a few reunions back and it was still being passed around. I can say this because I was to mesmerized by the people to take any pictures. I wondered if maybe the carnival was in town. People, take my word for it...UGLY, the homemade dresses were plentiful and ringlets were everywhere. I thought maybe Laura Ingles Wilder was a long lost descendant and we missed the memo to come and pay homage to the Ingles family. I felt a little "horish" because of the hairspray and lipstick I was wearing. Brandon felt over dressed in his store bought denim pants. I love reunions like this because my kids look like they just came from the jc penny catalog (hair done, shoes on their feet, not missing ALL of their teeth).

I know that you want to know what was to eat and who doesn't. HOT DOG ROAST!! They dug a whole in their backyard and filled it with wood and started a fire to roast weenies. They also had salads. It was sad but true, we had a prior engagement and had to leave (taco amigo).

One good thing that came from the reunion was a picture with Brandon's Grandma and Grandpa. They had not seen the baby and we figured, get credit for attending the reunion and show the Prince to the relates. Great, let's take a picture...Brandon and the Bronson were sitting by his grandpa and I said "Grandpa look over at me and I will take your picture" he said " I don't want to be at this reunion, and I really don't want my picture taken" (who does I thought) He then turned his head AWAY from the camera so we have a picture of Brandon and the Bronson and the side of Grandpas head. Scrapbook worthy!

All in all this reunion made us thankful that
1- we are Dang good looking folks
2- we had some good material to laugh about all weekend.
3- we got credit for going and won't have to go for another 12 years.
Keeping your sides in stiches...Doreen

6 comments:

Kent and Heidi said...

You're a HOOT! And how come I had to find out from Julie that you had a blog??!!

Emily said...

I looked and looked and I can't find a single ugly person in your pictures.

P.S. Tell Bridger we are having a popsicle eating contest this Saturday.

Moto X Mama said...

Let us know when the next one is, we want to go and people watch, I can bring my cam corder!!!

Isaac Family said...

Holy crap this post made me happy! I loved hearing about the hole they dug in their backyard. Oh, and go Bridger!!!

Whitney said...

I love that your prior engagement was Taco Amigo. Nice blog!

Liz said...

Ok- so where was this blog for the past 6 months when I needed some entertainment!? I hope you don't mind that I stumbled onto your blog. If you do mind, you can blame Emily for starting a blog and yourself for leaving a comment which lead me to you! :)