Tuesday, February 17, 2009


Dear Lehi Free Press,

So this is how your going out? Just slinking away? No big farewell edition, No apology for being such a lame excuse of a town paper these last few years? No replacement? What a joke! I have read you and loved you since 1985, the year I turned 10 and read an article by the late GREAT Betty Fowler. How I loved the old you; so full of real newsworthy articles, so full of wedding announcements, being full of real classified ads, full of a police beat that was about people that had lived here long enough that you knew who it was, so full of Lehi High School pride, listing the honor rolls for only lehi schools, being delivered on wonderful Wednesday instead of crappy Thursday.

I remember our happier times, when words weren't spelled wrong or repeated as they are now. I remember the wedding announcements that told you the bridesmaids, who gave the showers, where the honeymoon would take place, I remember birth announcements, actually listing parents, grandparents and siblings. What happened? Where did you go wrong?

I just hope that your happy where ever you end up, we had a great run and I have not been happy with this new you, the Lehi Liar, I called the Daily Herald and they confirmed that a refund would be on its way and for that I thank you. Once your biggest fan, now embarrassed to call you a Town paper, Doreen.

6 comments:

Jonie said...

Are you kidding me after three years of living here I did not know Lehi had a local paper and now I missed it. It makes me sad and I didn't even know about it.

Kim said...

Hahahaha! When I first read this, I thought it said 1895, and I was totally confused. :) I know you're not THAT old. :) But it was good for a laugh. And I too did not know that Lehi had a town paper... Hmmm. What else don't I know?!

Emily said...

Thursdays will never be the same...

Emily said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Adam and Melisa said...

So...is this where I was supposed to learn about Kindergarten registration?!!...

The Red Hen said...

Well said my sister. Now what are we going to do with the time that we used to call each other and say "Have you got your Free Press yet? Turn to page . . . can you believe she is marrying HIM?!?" I will miss this as much as the free press.

Interesting though that the Spanish Fork paper was not bought by the Daily Herald and is still thriving (well as much as a newspaper can these days) It is STILL a SMALL TOWN paper. Maybe the Daily Herald should have taken a few notes.